Poppies through to Bournemouth Senior Cup Final after beating Lymington

Victoria Park, home of the Poppies

Report by Carlo Simone (@CSimonejourno)

Bournemouth progressed to the final of the Bournemouth Senior Cup after securing a 3-1 victory over Lymington Town.

Goals from River Smith, Steve Flynn and Ali Zintany were enough to overcome the visitors, despite a nervy finish when Chia Khider was sent off late on in the second half.

Steve Flynn returned to the side after he signed a dual registration with Wimborne Town, and immediately was involved with creating Bournemouth’s first chance. He shifted the ball over to Neronski over on the left-hand side of the penalty area, but the striker took too long with his shot and it was blocked.

Bournemouth were certainly the stronger side in the first half and fashioned more chances, as Zintany fed Flynn who drove into the box, but his effort was deflected into the side-netting.

The following corner saw Chris Spears header against the bar, but it wouldn’t have counted if it had gone in as the referee blew for a foul in the area.

R.Smith then tried his luck from just outside the area, which only required a simple save from Lymington’s Nic Jones in goal, as it was straight at him.

Bournemouth’s pressure was eventually rewarded with a goal. Ron Frost’s throw-in was flicked on by Flynn to R.Smith, who with his back to goal, turned and hit an effort in on the half-volley.

It was no less than what Bournemouth deserved, and they continued creating chances. Frost saw a long-range effort whistle just wide of the post.

Lymington then had their first meaningful chance of the game. A free-kick from Ashley Jarvis was spilled by Sam Jones, but he did brilliantly to recover to prevent an equaliser being scrambled in.

On 34 minutes Poppies doubled their advantage as Flynn complemented his earlier assist with a goal. He rose highest above the Lymington defenders to nod in a measured cross, moments after Zintany had had an effort blocked.

Flynn almost got contributed to a third goal as the first half drew to a close. His shot was saved and fell perfectly to Aziz Aldahayan but he miskicked it and it fell into Jones’ hands. Thankfully, his blushes were spared as the offside flag was already raised.

Unfortunately the half ended on a sour note as Frost was involved in a head-to-head collision with Lymington’s Eamon Duffy. Frost had to be replaced and his wound required stitches.

In the second half Fawzi Saadi replaced Frost, and he helped to keep Bournemouth in the ascendancy, as from his cross R.Smith’s header forced a diving save from Jones.

Flynn then missed a guilt-edged chance midway through the half, as Neronski fizzed in a cross from the left hand side only for Flynn to miss the target from six yards out.

Lymington, having created barely any chances aside from free-kicks, got a goal back in comical circumstances. Sam Jones went to collect a through ball, but it rolled through his legs, leaving Pearce McNamara to roll into an empty net.

This completely turned the tide of the game, as Lymington began to press for an equaliser.

It got soon after, as Khider was sent off for a second booking after kicking the ball away following the awarding of a free kick to Lymington.

This set nerves jangling even more and Lymington went close after a volley from Zak Pickett went over from a corner.

However, Bournemouth scored a third on the counter to put the game to bed. Zintany blocked a clearance, which then fell nicely to him just ten yards out, so he drilled a powerful effort beyond the goalkeeper.

A few minutes later the whistle blew, with Bournemouth ultimately deserving the win from their assured display for most of the game. The Poppies will face Hythe & Dibden or Hamworthy United in the final.