Non-League Round Up: First qualifying round of the FA Trophy

Beaten football lying on grass.

Written by James Gray (@JGray1998)

It was FA Trophy first qualifying round weekend for all of Dorset’s step seven sides and we have the rest of the action from across the county over the last match-day weekend. 

Weymouth Win Away To Taunton

Weymouth recorded a 3-1 away win over league rivals Taunton Town on Saturday to book their place in the next round of the FA Trophy. The Terras took the lead twelve minutes into the first half when Brandon Goodship drilled home his 50th goal for Weymouth since signing for them in the summer of 2017.

The score remained that way until four minutes after half time when Stephane Zubar powered home from a corner to make it 2-0 to the away side. With the Terras seemingly coasting to a comfortable victory, Taunton managed to reduce the deficit to a single goal via a Matthew Wright header in the 62nd minute.

However, Weymouth were not to be outdone and they restored their two goal advantage just over ten minutes before full time. Josh Wakefield this time on hand to tap home after good work down the right hand side by Abdulai Baggie. Victory for Weymouth means they are now unbeaten in their least three games in all competitions.

Poole Snatch Late Winner Against Frome

Poole Town have also got their name in the hat for Monday’s draw following a late winner in their 2-1 home triumph over Frome Town. The Dolphins went in at the break 1-0 up courtesy of a Jez Bedford effort that came barely seconds before the referees whistle for half time.

Frome leveled the scores though just ten minutes into the second half when Kane Simpson’s cross was inadvertently put into their own net by a Poole defender. As the tie approached added time and the score still locked at 1-1, Poole managed to sneak a winner and break Frome hearts. Marvin Brookes turned out to be the Dolphins saviour as he fired home in the 91st minute to win the game for Poole and pocket his side £3,250 in the process.

Dorchester Draw To Set Up Replay

Dorchester Town meanwhile will have to battle it out again in a replay as they drew 1-1 away to Yate Town. Dorchester who are a league above their hosts took until the second half to break the deadlock when on loan Exeter City striker Ben Seymour scored in the 74th minute. Seymour who was making his debut for the Magpies had only signed on loan for the club a day prior to Saturday’s game.

Yate though took only four minutes to respond to going behind as Ben Brooks headed in after a ball was crossed in from the right hand side. Despite some late pressure from Dorchester the score remained 1-1 at full time meaning the two sides will meet again at the Avenue Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Wimborne Lose To Basingstoke In Entertaining Contest

Wimborne Town also endured another frustrating trip to Basignstoke this season as they lost 4-2. The Magpies had already lost at the Camrose 3-2 in league action back in September.

In a back and forth contest, it was Wimborne  who took the lead first when Toby Holmes struck in the 12th minute. However, barely eight minutes later Basingstoke were level through a Sam Argent strike. The match then swung back in Wimborne’s favour just two minutes on from the Dragons equaliser. Toby Holmes finishing well again for his second of the game.

Basingstoke though flipped the scoreline on its head as the match entered the last 15 minutes of the first half. Firstly Ben Wright levelled the game up once again when he hit a powerful low effort into the back of the Wimborne net in the 33rd minute. Before Argent continued his personal duel with Holmes for top scorer of the game when he stroked home just four minutes later to give the home side the lead for the first time in the match.

The contest continued to ebb and flow in the second half but it was Basingstoke who got the decisive goal next when Jack McKnight calmly slotted home on 74 minutes to effectively end the contest. The game finished 4-2 a result that means Wimborne have now fallen at the first hurdle of both this seasons FA competitions.

Wessex Premier Action

Hamworthy United also returned to winning ways in the league as they thumped Lymington Town 4-0 away from home. The Hammers have now scored 14 goals in their last two fixtures after thrashing AFC Burton 10-0 midweek in the Bournemouth Senior Cup.

Bournemouth FC managed to get a 3-3 draw against Christchurch FC at Victoria Park on Tuesday. It was an entertaining match with all the goals scored in the first half. Ali Zintany, Stepan Neronski, and in-form Steve Flynn got on the scoresheet for Poppies, while Harvey Wright and Ben and Jack Satterley scored for the visitors.