Late equaliser saw the Poppies rescue a point against the Harlequins

Poppies vs Harlequins

The Poppies looked the more dominant side throughout the match but it wasn’t until the 87th minute that Zintany struck the back of the net to salvage a draw.

After a somewhat quiet first few minutes, Bournemouth F.C had a great chance to take the lead as Michael Finch made a great run through the defence to strike the ball in great fashion, the shot slammed against the crossbar.

Just a few minutes later a chance occurred for Bemerton’s winger Lightfoot, a shot just went wide of the post.

Only minutes later did the Poppies find themselves hitting the woodwork against, this time Neronski found himself with space in the inside of the box and smacked the left outer-side of the post.

Bournemouth were at the attack again just moments after as Frost whipped a unsuccessful cross into the box, then the deflection fell to full-back Aldayhan who had a long range effort blocked.

As the game went on, the chances kept coming for The Poppies. Saadi had a long range effort that went well wide and then Ron Frost whipped in a well placed cross, but it was cleared by a strong header.

Despite the convincing start from the visitors it was Bemerton that took the lead through a bizarre goal. Plank was in loads of space around 40 yards out from the goal and struck it with great power and accuracy, a little bit of help from the wind lofted it over Sam Jones.

The Poppies wanted a reply instantly and almost had one as Flynn played a neat back heel into Neronski, the resulting shot just went wide of the top left corner.

Both teams were getting quite physical and frustrated with their opponents and in the 38th minute we saw the first booking of the game as Bemerton’s Smith got a yellow card for a rough tackle.

Winman was forced off the field in the 42nd minute after an accidental elbow to the face by Ron Frost left him looking worse for ware. Roushbiamai came on to replace him just before the break.

Despite trailing at half-time, the visitors looked the better side and were twice denied by the woodwork, however the second had better things to come for the side.

Bournemouth FC restarted the half looking for the equaliser, Neronski almost found it as he had a superb shot just outside the box well saved. Moments later another chance for fell for Steve Flynn, but the shot went just wide.

The hosts were unlucky not be leading by two goals after a perfectly placed header fell into the bottom right corner of the net from a well worked set-piece, however the linesman ruled it out for offside.

With less than 20 minutes of the game remaining the Poppies were trying everything to equalise. Neronski swung a corner in and Steve Flynn made great contact with the ball but it went just wide.

It took until the 87th minute for the Poppies to grab an equaliser. Zintany managed to find the ball at his feet within the box and drilled a shot low and hard into the bottom left corner to get a deserving team goal.

As the game drew late into stoppage time Bournemouth FC almost clinched a victory. A goal line tussle between the two teams deep within the host’s penalty area resulted in the ball hitting the left post and almost nestling in the corner of the goal.

The referee instantly blew the full-time whistle despite the fact the ball was yet to be cleared from the penalty area leaving some fans frustrated but the home fans looking relieved.

Despite being able to rescue a point, the Poppies drop to 7th in the table on 12 points behind Portland United by one point.

Next up is an exciting FA Vase cup match against Newquay. The match will take place this coming Saturday 13th October at Victoria Park. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Bournemouth FC: Jones (GK), Aldayhan, Head, Ohamje, Elsom, Frost (C), Neronski, Cooper, Finch, Flynn, Saadi

Bemerton Heath Harlequins: Fredricks (GK), Field, Plank, Kitcher, Winman, Hassell (C), Young, Smith, Slade, Allen, Lightfoot