Inspired Finch prolongs Poppies unbeaten run

Poppies vs Christchurch

Report by Ross Millen (@RossMillen) at Victoria Park

Image by Giancarlo Bocchetti – Media at Bournemouth FC


Poppies sent out a message as they continue their unbeaten run against local rivals Christchurch to advance to the next round of the FA Vase.

For the first 20 minutes of the match it seemed very evenly contested with both sides having a few half-chances at either end.

However shortly after a Christchurch free-kick, Bournemouth launched a counter attack in which Mickey Finch found himself on the left hand side of the six-yard box where he slotted home his first of the match.

Five minutes after, Finch found himself on the scoresheet again as a beautifully whipped in cross from Ron Frost perfectly set-up a perfect volley into the top right corner.

Yellow cards were shared out frequently as both Mickey Finch and Harvey Elsom from Bournemouth and Cormack Grant for Christchurch found themselves playing cautious second halves.

Chances came thick and fast in this game as both teams missed glistening chances as we neared half-time, but nothing more came of them as Bournemouth went into the break with a two-goal advantage.

Bournemouth came into the second-half starting strong and almost netted a third after the ball rolled across the face of the goal but wasn’t knocked in by anyone.

However moments later in the 53rd minute Mickey Finch managed to completed his hat-trick with a well-worked set piece. A free-kick from Poppies’ own half was flicked on into the feet of Mickey Finch who managed to find the bottom right of the goal despite the keeper’s best efforts of getting a hand to it.

Christchurch didn’t give up despite being 3-0 down and several chances fell their way with the best being a close range header that was saved by Sam Jones.

You could tell this was a local derby as the yellow cards continued to be handed out with both sides accumulating three each by the end of the match.

Poppies were almost set for a fourth goal if it wasn’t for the offside flag denying a golden opportunity for Finch to grab another goal.

As the game drew to a close, Poppies conceded a late penalty giving Christchurch an opportunity to score a consolation goal. James King stepped forward and slotted it into the right corner despite Jones diving the same way.

Only moments later did the full-time whistle blow and the Poppies have progressed into the next round of the FA Vase and continuing their unbeaten form.