Stan the Man strikes late as Cherries down the Eagles

AFCB 2-1 Crystal Palace

Report from Ross Millen (@RossMillen) at Vitality Stadium

Junior Stanislas struck a decisive goal in the 87th minute from the penalty spot to seal the three points and take the Cherries up to seventh in the table.

After only being on the pitch a matter of minutes, Stanislas had to step up to the penalty spot to try and secure victory.

With his first touch of the match, the winger struck hard down the middle to restore the host’s lead after Patrick van Aanholt’s thunderbolt equaliser.

Bournemouth made two changes from the 4-0 defeat to Burnley in their last Premier League match.

Lewis Cook came in for Andrew Surman for his first Premier League start of the season since last May.

Meanwhile, Simon Francis started in place of Diego Rico who was nursing a hamstring injury mid-week, and was tasked with dealing with the live-wire Wilfried Zaha.

It was a very quick start for the hosts as David Brooks whipped a cross into the box, but it swept past everyone and nobody was able to tap it in.

Only minutes later did the ball fall at his feet after Callum Wilson teed him up, and he slotted it nicely into the top left corner of the goal where it ricocheted in off the crossbar.

Despite taking the lead, Crystal Palace looked the better side in the first ten minutes with two chances being swung into the box, but both were collected by Asmir Begovic.

Ryan Fraser and Adam Smith played some nice one-two football and earned AFC Bournemouth a corner. It was delivered in but drifted out of danger, before the following cross fell to Nathan Ake who flicked wide of the right post.

Zaha faced not only the Cherries’ defence but also the home fans as he found himself offside and flailing on the floor on separate occasions, giving the home crowd a target for their chants.

Ryan Fraser had an opportunity to play the ball into King, who danced around a few defenders before drilling a shot into the right side netting.

Only a few minutes later, the youngster Brooks attempted to dribble through the entirety of the Eagles defence and almost succeeded, ratcheting the atmosphere within the stadium up another notch.

The first half was dominated by the Cherries on chances but the game still felt very open as both teams gave away needless fouls on multiple occasions, gifting the ball back to the opposition.

Brooks was awarded the first yellow card of the evening on 28 minutes after catching Van Aanholt on the ankle during their break. The free-kick from 30 yards out was comfortably collected by Begovic, however.

A succession of quick throw-ins from the hosts got the crowd roaring behind them. This encouraged Cherries to win a set-piece about 40 yards out, it was whipped in by Fraser onto the head of Steve Cook who struck it straight at Wayne Hennessey.

Both Adam Smith and Joshua King looked to take blows as the game heated up and the visitors started to look overrun.

Crystal Palace had a succession of half-chances towards half-time but a lot of them resulted in a Bournemouth free-kick after aggression within the box.

As the half-time whistle blew, the score line accurately represented the game as the Cherries had more of the ball and the better chances, but the contest was far from over.

The Eagles started the second half looking like a different team and carved out a succession of immediate chances, one which was fired over the bar by James McArthur and another attempted volley was missed by Max Meyer.

It only took ten minutes of the second half for Palace to equalise after restarting as the better side. Zaha was lucky to maintain the ball after slipping, but threaded it through to van Aanholt who drilled into the top left corner of the goal.

The full back looked to be offside in the replays, but the goal still stood and the hosts looked very shaky.

Dan Gosling came on to replace Brooks on 57 minutes, a tactical substitution which brought the Cherries back into the match.

Shortly after, Sakho made a poor clearance which gave Bournemouth a chance to break. A delivery was whipped in from the right side and fell to the feet of Wilson with only the keeper to beat, but the striker smashed it over the bar from close range.

Further link up play between Fraser and Wilson saw them almost through on goal but it resulted in a corner instead. The set-piece was struck in and later dragged against the frame of the goal but neither Ake or Wilson were able to tap in from close range.

It was Andros Townsend who then tried to take the advantage. The wideman lofted a high cross into the box which came to nothing, but the following ball fell at his feet again and he dragged wide of the right post.

Luka Milivojevic had a tussle with Adam Smith despite being nowhere near the ball and picked up a yellow card. Ryan Fraser took the free kick from 30 yards out, but it was a badly worked training exercise that was never going to come off as Francis drilled low and wide.

Fraser created the best chance of the half as he nicked the ball off of Van Aanholt after a weak touch. He charged down the defence for a two on one and nicely teed up Wilson in the box. But with the forward one on one with the goalkeeper, the ball smashed it straight into the chest of Hennessey and away.

King had his last involvement of the match as he was replaced by Junior Stanislas, who has just recovered from injury over the last few weeks.

Cherries had another free-kick from about 35 yards out which was delivered by Fraser. Jefferson Lerma was brought down inside the box by Mamadou Sakho and referee Mike Dean pointed straight to the penalty spot.

Stanislas stepped up to the spot despite not having a touch of the ball yet in the game. The winger managed to restore the lead with a fierce finish straight down the middle, leaving Hennessey diving aimlessly to his left.

Palace had only a few minutes to come up with an answer to overturn the match but the high press from the attacking frontline meant they were forced to pass amongst their defence.

The hosts were clearly frustrating the Eagles as a scrap broke out following an awarded free-kick. Sakho looked to push Lerma and both were shown yellow cards – before James Tomkins became involved and was dragged away by his teammates.

Four minutes of additional time were allocated and the visitors had one last opportunity to draw the match level in the last minute of stoppage from a set-piece, but it ended in nothing but a Cherries goal kick.

Mike Dean then blew the full-time whistle, leaving Bournemouth as victors for the first time on a Monday night in the Premier League.

The win takes them up to seventh in the table and level on points with Watford, who they will visit next Saturday.

AFC Bournemouth: Begovic, Smith, Cook, Ake, Francis, Brooks (Gosling, 58), Lerma, Surman, Fraser, Wilson, King (Stanislas 84)

Crystal Palace: Hennessey, Wan-Bissaka, Tomkins, Sakho, Van Aanholt, Meyer (Kouyate 84), Miliojevic, McArthur (Schlupp, 77), Townsend, J Ayew (Sorloth 82), Zaha

Referee: Mike Dean