Alonso double denies Cherries three points

AFC Bournemouth vs Fulham

Written by Rob Edwards (@rob_edwards19) from Vitality Stadium

Goals from Jefferson Lerma and Josh King were not enough to give the Cherries all three points in a highly entertaining 2-2 draw with Chelsea at the Vitality Stadium.

Marcos Alonso gave the visitors the lead in a first half which they dominated, after he followed up on Oliver Giroud’s shot which struck the bar.

The Cherries rallied after the break and Lerma and King struck in quick succession to give the home side an unlikely lead.

Despite their best efforts, the Cherries couldn’t keep the Blues at bay, and Alonso added his second meaning the spoils were shared on the south coast.

Bournemouth went into to this match having won their last two league games at the Vitality Stadium.

They were looking to do the double over a Chelsea side who were still licking their wounds following their 3-0 defeat to Bayern Munich during the week.

Eddie Howe’s men came out all guns blazing early on with Phillip Billing missing two golden opportunities to give the home side the lead.

Chelsea settled into the game as the half went on and eventually took the lead 33 minutes in. Reece James fired in a delightful cross from the right which was flicked towards goal by Giroud.

His shot cannoned back off the bar, with Alonso the quickest to react volleying in from close range.

The Blues looked for a second goal before the break but had to settle for just the one which their dominance deserved.

Bournemouth re-grouped during the break and came out with renewed impetuous which resulted in two goals turning this game on its head.

Jefferson Lerma lead by example when he rose highest to nod past Willy Caballero following a fantastic corner by Ryan Fraser.

Three minutes later, they had their second after Jack Stacey’s low cross from the right made its way through to King at the back-post who made no mistake prodding it home.

Bournemouth’s revival had clearly rattled the visitors with Frank Lampard making a double change in order to try and change his side’s fortunes.

The intensity the home side were playing with started to deteriorate as the game went on resulting in more and more Chelsea pressure.

Aaron Ramsdale was called upon on numerous occasions to produce some fine saves to deny Mason Mount and Ross Barkley.

However, on 85 minutes, Bournemouth’s blockade was eventually breached.

Pedro unleashed a fierce shot from the edge of the area which was parried by Ramsdale right onto the head of Alonso who added his and Chelsea’s second of the game.

From that point on, only one team looked like winning this match, and they nearly did when Alonso almost netted his third of the afternoon but saw his header dribble past the post.

The full-time whistle brough to an end a fiercely competitive football match, with both teams feeling they perhaps did enough to win.

This point means Eddie Howe’s men drop to 17th in the league, as a result of West Ham’s win at home to Southampton.

It doesn’t get any easier for them when they travel to would-be champions Liverpool next weekend.