AFC Bournemouth 3-3 West Ham United: Late drama at the Vitality


AFC Bournemouth and West Ham United shared the spoils after a thrilling match on the South Coast, with three goals coming in after the 80 minute mark.

Marko Arnautovic netted a brace for the Hammers after two slip-ups by AFC Bournemouth keeper Asmir Begovic, and looked to have won it with his 89th minute strike. But there was another twist yet, as Callum Wilson turned it in at the death for a deserved Bournemouth point.

The match started off poorly for the Cherries, and they went behind in the first ten minutes after a James Collins header. Dan Gosling lost Collins at a corner, and the West Ham skipper could not believe his luck.

Gosling made amends for his mistake later on in the half, after the Cherries had started growing into the match. It was Collins himself who headed it straight to the midfielder, and Gosling showed good technique to place it past Adrian in the 29th minute.

Immediately after, there was drama near the touchline as Simon Francis was called back for a high boot on Cheikhou Kouyate. The referee produced the yellow card after a short scuffle, but the West Ham fans wanted more.

In the second half, the Cherries took the lead for the first time in the match. Nathan Ake was the scorer. He was found by a Ryan Fraser ball which seemed to evade everyone in the West Ham defence, and the Dutchman took full advantage.

From then on, Bournemouth had the lion’s share of chances. Jordon Ibe and Callum Wilson failed to find the net multiple times, as Adrian was kept busy in the West Ham goal.

But, as the rain pelted down and time went on, it was his Bournemouth counterpart who would make a decisive contribution.

In the 81st minute, Begovic failed to control a simple back-pass and slipped at the crucial moment. Arnautovic tapped the ball into the empty net. Soon, he was celebrating again – Begovic failed to control a Javier Hernandez shot, and Arnautovic was on hand again. The Hammers looked to have snatched it at the end.

However, Wilson had the final say. It was a very controversial goal – initially ruled out for offside, and then given after a period of consultation with the assistant Simon Long. Referee Bobby Madley also seemed to have missed that Wilson seemed to have touched it in with his arm. Bournemouth fans will celebrate regardless.

It was a Boxing Day raining with goals on the South Coast, but Bournemouth remain in the relegation spots. They host Everton in their final match of 2017, and that has now become another must-win fixture.