Justice finally served for Hillsborough victims and families


After 27 years, the families of the 96 victims in the Hillsborough Disaster finally have justice as the verdict determined they were ‘unlawfully killed’.

On 25th April the victims were exonerated, after claims their behaviour was partly to blame, and the jury determined in a unanimous decision that the South Yorkshire Police along with stadium inefficiencies were responsible.

However, the Sun and The Times have failed to feature it on their front pages, despite every other national paper deciding that the verdict was front-page material. Both The Sun and its sister paper The Times have since issued apologies since critics pointed out their errors.

Previously there was controversy over The Sun’s front page during the disaster titled ‘The Truth’ in which they lied by portraying fans as aggressive criminals, for which their sales in Liverpool never recovered. Now they have prioritised a story of David Cameron’s use of WhatsApp to communicate EU campaigns.

However, The Sun have run a double-page spread on the verdict on pages 8 and 9 as well as being covered in its editorial column and The Times featured a picture of the families celebrating outside the courtroom in later editions.

Photograph of the scenes on the pitch as the chaos unfolded

The incident at Sheffield Wednesday’s home ground has been considered the biggest disaster in British sporting history as 96 victims, aged 10 to 64, perished in a human crush at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in 1989.

Former attorney General Dominic Grieve said the key issue is how long it took for the families to get redress and for an examination to take place.

The initial report, the Taylor Inquiry, determined the cause as a failure of police but also considered the behaviour of the fans as a factor. The most recent inquiry discredited this after a 2-year-long investigation into previously hidden documents by the Hillsborough Independent Panel.

The jury found that police errors, an inefficient ambulance response and the stadium’s design were to blame, whilst fans were not.

Relatives of the victims joined together and sang “You’ll Never Walk Alone” hand-in-hand outside the courts as they celebrated the verdict and the fact justice had finally been served.

It has since been announced that the South Yorkshire Police chief constable David Crompton has been suspended following the outcome of the inquest.