AFC Bournemouth 4-0 Huddersfield Town: Ten-man Cherries hammer the Terriers at the Vitality Stadium


AFC Bournemouth beat Huddersfield 4-0 on the South coast with a hat-trick from Callum Wilson and a drilled effort from Harry Arter to condemn David Wagner’s men and send them back to Yorkshire with no points.

The line ups were to be expected with AFC Bournemouth very much favouring an attacking forward placing Wilson and King up front whereas Huddersfield opted for a midfield battle. A surprise omission to the line up of Bournemouth was Jermaine Defoe, it is believed he had picked up a calf strain during training.

With one victory in the last ten meetings between the sides it was obvious to see that this would be a major task for Huddersfield Town and during their first ever meeting in the top flight division The Terriers started off vibrant and played good football, attempting to exploit the weaknesses of Simon Francis at right back.

Van la Parra again was a major player in linking up the attack but Depoitre was very quiet due to the superb man marking by Nathan Ake who was solid at the back throughout the game.

The deadlock was broken on the 26 minute mark due to an unmarked header from Callum Wilson which was easily slotted past Jonas Lossl.  The goal was controversial however, as there was a claim for a foul after Charlie Daniels collided with Florent Hadergjonaj in the build-up, to which manager David Wagner believes should have been given.

The lead was doubled on the 31 minute mark by a volley from Callum Wilson, the ball was crossed in by Andrew Surman. Wagner claimed the goal shouldn’t have stood due to Wilson being in an offside position when the ball was played to him.

Late in the first half, Francis was sent off for a second yellow card due to a poor challenge with Van la Parra. The referee Lee Probert was very hesitant to award the foul and took a rather long time to think on his decision. Fans appeared disgruntled and questioned whether he was influenced by the protesting Huddersfield players.

At half time, The Terriers were 2-0 down, however The Cherries had ten men so there was a real sense of a comeback mounting, but to no avail. The third goal in the game was, according to Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe, the decisive goal in the match to maintain the momentum of the first half.

Lo and behold the third goal came at the 70th minute mark to Bournemouth which was a brilliant effort by Harry Arter who will be pleased to be on the score sheet after last weeks disappointment, being knocked out of the World Cup qualifiers with Republic of Ireland.  The Huddersfield defence were poor and just couldn’t get a foot in to prevent Arter slotting the ball past a helpless Lossl.

To add more misery for The Terriers, at the 84th minute mark Wilson bagged his first ever hat-trick with an easy finish past another poor defensive display from Huddersfield who were stood ball watching.

Wilson received the Man of the Match Award for his hat-trick, although Ake could have easily won the award. The victory leaves Bournemouth 13th in the table with Huddersfield dropping one place to 11th.

Questions will be asked of the referee and Huddersfield’s poor defensive display as well as their manner to play away from home, for which they have an appalling record. They’re without a win and even a goal since the opening day of the season away from home.

Huddersfield will next play the league leaders Manchester City with Bournemouth looking to make it their fifth win in six games with a trip to struggling Swansea.