Match Report: TeamBU Men’s Football Team shock Swansea to climb out of the Western 1A relegation zone


Two first half goals from Clive Makoni and a masterful Derek Hayford free kick gave TeamBU Men’s Football Team a 3-1 shock win against league leaders Swansea.

The Welsh side never really grew into the game and when Makoni took it round the Swansea keeper in the 18th minute, Bournemouth took a deserved lead. The home side continued to dominate possession, with skipper Mitch Coombes and Malachi Benjamin linking up well down the left flank.

Makoni continued to be a potent threat going forward for TeamBU and in the 32nd minute got in behind again. The Swansea keeper was lucky to stay on the pitch as he clipped down the front-man, who appeared to be struggling from the clash. On another day he may have been sent off but the referee adjudged it to be just a yellow.

Benjamin: The left midfielder linked well with Coombes all day.

Three minutes later table toppers Swansea equalised completely against the run of play. Goalkeeper Tom Hayward rushed out but was beaten to the ball and Swansea’s no.9 finished well.

Swansea passing game nowhere to be seen

TeamBU’s spirits were not dampened and continued to hold on to the ball and compete with Swansea, the team that beat them 6-1 back in November. The away team never seemed comfortable, usually accustomed to their 3G back at Fairwood.

Derek Hayford was responsible for perhaps the most significant moment of the game. TeamBU, still only one goal up shortly after the break, started sharply and earned a free kick just outside the opposition’s penalty area. Hayford stepped up and scored an absolute beauty.

Solid back line: TeamBU remained solid and were unfortunate to concede at all, led by Shroeder in the middle.

The back four of Coombes, Schroeder, Samson and Tom Hammond remained solid throughout and withheld continuing pressure from Swansea, looking for their sixth win in seven.

Hero Hammond

Keeper Hayward also made a string of impressive saves but appeared beaten in the 61st minute. However, right back Hammond pulled off a miraculous clearance off the line and retained the home side’s two-goal cushion.

Solid subs: Adetiba came on and impressed.

TeamBU managed to see off the final half an hour with not to many issues, helped by substitutes Adetiba and Bodley. In the dying embers of the game, a Swansea shot hit the post but it was not enough to deny TeamBU a huge win.

8th of March: save the date

With Cardiff losing elsewhere, TeamBU now take the initiative for what will effectively be a relegation decider on the 8th of March. Coombe’s men will make the journey to South Wales to face Cardiff needing to avoid defeat to secure another season in the Western 1A division.

The game was broadcasted LIVE on Nerve Radio for the first time ever. Full coverage can be found here.