Bournemouth hit four in shock win over Leicester City

Vitality Stadium

Written by Carlo Simone (@CSimonejourno)

Bournemouth stayed in the fight for Premier League survival after recording an impressive 4-1 win over fourth-placed Leicester City. 

It had initially looked like the Cherries would continue their winless run after Jamie Vardy had scrambled home in the first half.

However, in the space of three second half minutes the game turned in Bournemouth’s favour as a penalty from Junior Stanislas and Dominic Solanke’s first goal for the club put them in the lead.

Caglar Soyuncu was also sent off for kicking Callum Wilson in the aftermath of Solanke’s goal, and the Dorset side then consolidated the victory with a Jonny Evans own goal and another Solanke effort.

The first half of the game hadn’t given any indication of the craziness that the second half would bring, as Leicester largely controlled proceedings.

It was rather uneventful up until the 23rd minute, as Kelechi Ihenacho was sent scampering into the box. As Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale came out, he crossed across the face of goal, where Lloyd Kelly unsuccessfully tried to flick away. Vardy then lunged in to scramble the ball over the line.

Vardy almost found the net again towards the end of the half after another piece of poor play.

Arnaut Danjuma passed the ball back straight to Vardy who charged into the box. Thankfully for the Cherries Nathan Ake kept with Vardy and threw out a leg to tip it over the crossbar.

Unfortunately for the defender he injured himself in the process, and was substiuted for Steve Cook.

David Brooks finally got Bournemouth’s first attempt on goal in first half stoppage time as he struck from range. Kasper Schmeichel was equal to it though and tipped it round the post.

Half-time then arrived and the situation didn’t look promising for Bournemouth. They had only won two points from losing positions all season and had only scored once since the restart, so a comeback looked unlikely.

However, everything changed from the 66th minute.

Schmeichel somehow hit Wilfred Ndidi with his goal-kick, and the midfielder brought down Callum Wilson for a penalty as he pounced on the loose ball.

Stanislas sent the penalty straight down the middle to put the Cherries on level terms.

Just a minute later, the ball was flicked on to Solanke who ran onto it and squeezed the ball through Schmeichel’s legs. It was his first goal all season in the Premier League.

In the aftermath of Solanke’s goal Soyuncu was sent off for kicking Wilson as they both went for the ball in the net. The game had flipped on its head.

Bournemouth were relentless after that. Stanislas had space to cut inside a short while later, and his shot took a cruel deflection off Jonny Evans’ leg to make it 3-1.

A fourth goal came soon after, and incredibly it was Solanke again.

He intercepted a back pass intended for Ryan Bennett, took it around the defender with ease and stuck it through Schmeichel’s legs.

A fifth almost came in stoppage time, as Sam Surridge found himself through on goal after the ball had bounced off Evans’ head and into his path. However, he blasted wide of the near post.

The final action of the game saw Ramsdale deny Harvey Barnes’ powerful strike and then it was all over.

Bournemouth had won their first game since February 1, and moved to within three points of 17th placed Watford.

There’s still a spark of hope for them with three matches remaining, even if they face the enormous task of coming to Manchester City next week.


AFC Bournemouth:

Ramsdale, Stacey, Ake (S .Cook 40’), Kelly, Rico, Brooks (L. Cook 81’), Gosling (Billing 45’), Lerma, Danjuma (Stanislas 45’), Solanke, C. Wilson (Sturridge 90’) 

Subs: Boruc, S. Cook, Surman, L. Cook, Stanislas, Sturridge, H. Wilson, Simpson, Billing 

Leicester City:

Schmeichel, Justin, Evans, Soyuncu, Albrighton (Bennett 16’), Ndidi, Tielemens, Fuchs, Perez (Barnes 71’), Ihenacho (Praet 45’), Vardy

Subs: Morgan, Gray, Ward, Barnes, Choudhury, James, Mendy, Praet, Bennett