Bournemouth 2-0 Watford: Match Review


Bournemouth remain top of the Championship after a comfortable 2-0 win against 10 man Watford.

Bournemouth had a stroke of luck in the opening minute as Watford defender Gabrielle Angella brought down Callum Wilson, resulting in a controversial red card. The referee deemed the last ditch challenge worthy of a sending off despite the fact replays show there was a covering defenwatfordder.

Despite going down to 10 men, Watford enjoyed a good spell of possession in the opening 10 minutes but failed to convert, after that it was a comfortable game for The Cherries, who enjoyed 71% possession.

Bournemouth capitalised on their large spell of possession in the 33rd minute after Callum Wilson was brought down in the box by Gianni Munari. Yann Kermogant converted the penalty, sending the Watford keeper the wrong way.

After the goal Bournemouth again enjoyed a large spell of possession but could not create any clear cut chances before the half time whistle.

Watford’s only memorable goal scoring chance in the second half came after 52 minutes. Tozser was played through but a well-timed tackle in the box saw the opportunity cleared. Just a few minutes after this, Bournemouth attacked down the left side, with Pugh playing in a cross that eventually fell to Matt Ritchie who made the most of the chance to make it 2-0 to Bournemouth.

Bournemouth then continued to hold possession, creating a couple of chances that were dealt with well by Gomes.

Overall, it was a confident display from Bournemouth who remain on course for promotion to the Premier League at the end of the season.

Man of the Match

Man of the match for me was Marc Pugh. He was a constant threat down the left hand side, creating chances and nearly scoring but for a fine save by the Watford keeper.


Attendance for the game was 10,904.


Bournemouth had a very comfortable night after Watford had a man sent off in the 1st minute. Yann Kermorgant scored a penalty in the 1st half to make it 1-0 and in the 2nd half Matt Ritchie converted to give The Cherries a 2 goal win.